The Stem Cell Transplantation Program has carried out greater than eight,700 stem cell and bone marrow transplants for the remedy of most cancers since our program started in 1972. Our consultants are extremely regarded within the discipline of hematopoietic stem cell transplants, and can work to handle your wants all through remedy and past.
Located in Boston, the Stem Cell Transplantation program at Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center is without doubt one of the largest and most skilled stem cell transplant applications on the earth. We have carried out greater than eight,700 transplants for the remedy of blood cancers and associated problems since our program started in 1972. Our center-specific outcomes have been acknowledged as among the many greatest within the United States.
The medical doctors, researchers, and affected person care employees in our remedy staff are extremely regarded within the discipline of hematopoietic stem cell transplant procedures. They will collaborate with our hematologic malignancies care groups and your referring doctor to create the best remedy methods.
An skilled staff of devoted stem cell transplant specialists will observe you thru the continuum of transplant providers in each the inpatient and outpatient settings.
Our stem cell transplant providers embody:
– Autologous transplant, utilizing your personal stem cells.
– Allogeneic transplant, utilizing stem cells from a member of the family, unrelated matching donor, or umbilical twine blood.
– Comprehensive providers for associated and unrelated donors.
– Access to our in depth providing of specialised stem cell transplant medical trials.
– Transplantation for adults over age 60.
Stem cell transplantation refers to a process the place wholesome stem cells are transplanted from one particular person to a different, or utilizing a person’s personal stem cells. Sources of stem cells embody bone marrow, peripheral blood or umbilical twine blood. You might hear the process known as a bone marrow transplant (BMT) or peripheral blood stem cell transplant (PBSCT) or umbilical twine blood transplantation (UCBT), relying on the supply of the cells which are transplanted.
Hematopoietic stem cells can develop into any of the cells discovered throughout the bloodstream. They make blood cells and the parts that your immune system must operate. During a transplant, your physique is infused with wholesome stem cells which then develop and produce the entire totally different components of the blood that each your physique and your immune system want.
When is a stem cell transplant wanted,
You may have a stem cell transplant when:
– Your physique can not make the blood cells it wants as a result of your bone marrow or stem cells have failed.
– Your bone marrow or blood cells have turn out to be diseased and must be changed.
– You have a illness that’s handled with excessive doses of chemotherapy and/or radiation remedy, which destroys each cancerous and stem cells on the identical time.
What occurs in a stem cell transplant,
When you endure a stem cell transplant, medical doctors change your stem cells with wholesome new stem cells from a volunteer stem cell donor. Here’s a quick overview of what occurs:
– You will obtain chemotherapy and/or radiation to kill the diseased cells. This remedy, generally known as conditioning, will injury and probably destroy your bone marrow/blood stem cells.
– You will obtain new, wholesome stem cells (in a course of referred to as an infusion, which has similarities to a blood transfusion) to switch the destroyed cells. Unlike different types of organ transplant (e.g. coronary heart, kidney, and so forth.) surgical procedure shouldn’t be required for a stem cell transplant.
– The transplanted cells will start to develop and produce wholesome purple and white blood cells and platelets.
– The technique of rising new blood cells usually takes between two and 4 weeks; throughout this time you could be hospitalized in order that medical doctors can monitor your progress.
In some circumstances, your personal stem cells could also be appropriate for the process; that is referred to as an autologous transplant. If you want stem cells from a donor (an allogeneic transplant) we are going to assist coordinate that course of via our complete donor providers program. Your doctor will resolve what sort of transplant ought to be used on your remedy and the supply of the transplanted stem cells.