Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years and older (Adult, Senior)
Sexes Eligible for Study: All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers: No
1. Male or females at least 18 years of age.
2. Have the ability to understand the requirements of the study, to provide written informed consent, and to comply with the study protocol.
3. Have the ability to understand and provide written authorization for the use and disclosure of personal health information (PHI) [per Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy ruling in the US].
4. Have chronic low back pain for at least 6 months.
5. Have documented symptomatic diagnosis of DDD of one level from L1-S1 as determined by a change in disc hydration on MRI compared to normal disc with or without an annular fissure or a contained disc herniation.
6. Have failed 3 months of non-operative low back pain management.
7. Disc height loss of < 30% compared to a normal adjacent disc based upon radiographic evaluation.
8. Pre-treatment baseline low back pain of at least 40 mm on a 100 mm visual analog scale.
9. Low back pain greater than leg pain.
10. Pre-treatment baseline Oswestry Disability Index Questionnaire score of at least 30 on the 100-point questionnaire.
1. Female subjects who are pregnant or nursing, or women planning to become pregnant during the first year (12 months) following surgery.
2. Have a current or prior history within the last 3 years of neoplasm (excluding basal cell carcinoma) and/or any active neoplasm within the last 24 months, prior to screening.
3. Patients with compressive pathology due to stenosis or frankly herniated disc or sequestered discs are not candidates.
4. Intact disc bulge/protrusion or focal herniation at the symptomatic level (s) > 3 mm or presence of disc extrusion or sequestration.
5. Lumbar spondylitis or other undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy.
6. Have undergone a previous surgery at the involved levels.
7. Any lumbar intradiscal injection procedure (e. g., injection of corticosteroids, methylene blue, dextrose, or glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate). Discography may be performed, but must be done at least 2 weeks or more prior to the MPC injection procedure.
8. Have an acute fracture of the spine at the time of enrollment in the study.
9. Have a history of epidural steroid injections within 1 week prior to study treatment.
10. Have a known history of hypersensitivity or anaphylactic reaction to murine or bovine products or dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO).
11. Have a positive screen for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibodies.
12. Have a known history of hypersensitivity or anaphylactic reaction to Hyaluronan.
13. Have a current or prior history within the last 3 years of neoplasm (excluding basal cell carcinoma) and/or any active neoplasm within the last 24 months, prior to screening.
14. Have been a recipient of prior stem cell/progenitor cell therapy or other biological intervention to repair the target intervertebral disc.
15. Are transient or has been treated in the last 6 months before enrollment for alcohol and/or drug abuse in an inpatient substance abuse program.
16. Currently incarcerated (prisoners).